Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Spectacular Now



It sure was a spur of the moment decision when my sister and I decided to watch The Spectacular Now.  I was drawn by the poster, as any romantic will do, and in we went into the movie theater.  It is a great decision.  I enjoyed the movie.  I love movies that tugs at my heart strings slightly, and it is exactly what this movie does to me.  I give it a 4 out of 5 perhaps.

It was quite a lovely coming-of-age movie, with the mixture of modern day love and family issues, and adolescent innocence, as well as complications.  The movie depicts average life, and the little bits and pieces of hardships and miraculous moments among the average.  It captured the beauty of average and of love.  Miles Teller gives a wonderful performance of Sutter, a troubled teen trying to find himself amidst the many unanswered questions and insecurities in his life.  Upon meeting Aimee (Shailene Woodly, btw she's so pretty), Sutter started to figure himself out.  I was sucked into Sutter's journey of finding his true self, and during the process have experienced reflections of my own.

I am like Amiee, I think ahead.  Unlike Sutter, who have to learn to think for the future, I have to learn to live in the present, and embrace it no matter good or bad or just meh.  The Spectacular Now.  It is such a wonderful title for the movie, for any movie.  It is such a beautiful phrase, and it speaks the truth.  The present is spectacular, and as Sutter says in the movie, 'we will never be as young as we are tonight.' (it's something similar, I forgot the exact wordings, sorry)

This is the first movie I saw in the States, and I saw it with my sister, who I haven't hung out with for more that a full year.   I am in America, waiting for my new adventure to begin.  I have my family by my side, and my whole future ahead of me.  This is my spectacular now.

No comments:

Post a Comment