Sunday, August 25, 2013

Shell


"What if we could remember things we didn't experience."

This is probably the first Wong Fu short film I've watched, if I hadn't remembered wrongly.   And after watching so many other short films from them, this still stays my favorite.   

The quietness and calmness in this video, with the silent background and the occasional piano background when Chris speaks his fictional memory, hits right on point and make the short film so poetic and beautiful.  Just as Wes said in the video's commentary, "the visuals we imagine are often more brilliant than truths and reality we experience."  The juxtaposition of the two locations, one in the city with all the metallic themes and city lights, and the other in the fields with the mellow and embracing sunlight creates a stark contrast between fiction and reality. And Chris's voice over is so full of emotions and the last line, "and then, fiction becomes reality..." just killed it.


This film is as if poetry in video form, and I enjoyed every single bit of it.  I felt as if I understood more and felt more, and even differently, every time I watch it.  It seemed so complex, the first few times when I watched this, but slowly, it all makes sense.   I really enjoyed the quiet conversation between Chris and Mimi, and especially love how the entire video is capturing just, perhaps, a single short and clipped moment in real life, but in such detail.  To remember things that never existed, and create memories that aren't real but wished they were?  It is such a beautiful, romantic and abstract idea, and yet it can all be represented in and explained by a shell; how people hear the waves of the ocean crashing ashore but never having been near to the ocean and know what the waves sound like.

This short is pure perfection and I hope you'll love it too.   Let me know below what you think about it, I'd really like to know.



No comments:

Post a Comment