Wednesday, July 17, 2013

troopers of the future



What I want to talk about today is living in the future.  I don't know where I got these from, perhaps it's due to my leftie-ness?  I find myself thinking and imagining more of the future rather than the present when I have the time to think.  Now that I thought about it, I realize that most of the time when I was thinking about the present, I was either worrying or under high-pressure (of course there are exceptional cases of extreme joy and wonder when I live in the present).  In my head, there is always images and snippets of the future that I imagined.  Sometimes, they just flash once and then they were gone; sometimes, they stay for quite awhile in my head until the future collides with the present and I compare whether the 'future' in my head (that had became the present) match with the present.  Most of the time they don't, because if it does, I must be a wizard or X-men or a prophet or something of that sort, and trust me, I'm not. *wink*

Some people believe that it is not really healthy , living in the future rather than in the present.  It's quite true for me, I guess.  Being the type of person who worry too much, freak out too much (leftie-syndrome/stereotype), the future, most of the time doesn't look that optimistic.  And even when it does seem optimistic and gleeful and hopeful, I can always come up with terrible images that just kills the mood every time.  And I become this down, hopeless and frowning ball of dark energy, and this is not healthy, I know, and I am trying to change that (am I?).  But in another way, living in the future helps boost my imagination and creativity (and yours too, if you have the similar thing going on in your mind). When my mind is idle from the present, it always wander off to the future and its infinite what-ifs.  'What if this happens?' 'It'd be cool if that happens.' 'Omg, what if it doesn't work out?'

Say, when I was in Secondary 1 (i.e. grade 7), I started imagining how I would feel when I graduate and finish high school.  During my 6 years of secondary school education, I had imagined so many different versions of it.  Here are some examples: 'I will be cool and not shed a tear and watch my friends cry and yelp for those long lost good old days of youth', 'or I might be the dramatic cry baby and hug everybody, and I will let my tears soak into their shirts and onto their shoulders and they will comfort me and say that we will meet again', 'oh and I will write letters and autographs to all my friends, and we will go out for drinks and get drunk and be fun like Carrie and her girls (SATC minus the crazy love-making part of course)'.  Now that I have graduated and the 'old future' had became the present, all I felt is melancholy and nervousness and excitement, and fyi, I am still sticking to mocktails.  But that's alright because the present is only so short a period of time, whereas the future is infinite. And I have moved on to living in other futures, my college years, my love life, my career, my marriage (if someone would marry me), my kids (if I would have someone marry me and have kids with me), my later years, and my last words.  There are just so many things that I could imagine and fill my head with that I sometimes think to myself, living in the future is so much more fun than living in the present (#truth).

So here's to all you mind troopers of the future out there, rock on, fellas.  I will be your companion and travel in my own future, and you yours.  We will have so much fun together separately (and disappointments too, perhaps for me.  but I'm cool with it, I guess).

No comments:

Post a Comment