Friday, January 23, 2015

Here - book by Richard McGuire


So I went to the Strand bookstore in New York during break and I found this book, Here by Richard McGuire. It is one of the most interesting book I've seen, the idea of it is just impeccable and true.



This graphic narrative by Richard McGuire lets readers travel between millenniums and eras and decades through the different transformations of a single corner in a current New Jersey apartment. There's a twist on every page though, is that while the page is fixed on a single time period, there is always a contrast shown in a window of a different time. On a page when the space is set in 50,000 B.C., with trees and animals and dinosaurs, a small window on the page shows the space as an apartment in 1957.


McGuire wittily depict scenes with dinosaurs, European settlers, 50s housewives and husbands, and alike along with each other. Paired with conversations between characters at different time periods, Here chronicles how culture and history evolved, or stayed the same through the years.


I only had the chance to flip through the book and I'm already fascinated by the complexity and meaning that the images convey. I'd love to have the book in my hands, to travel through and between time and era and understand more about history and evolution of mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment